Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 helps you protect your IT environment by providing secure access to applications, support for secure branch office connectivity, and advanced firewall protection. The new features provided in ISA Server 2006 include:
- New Web filters for HTTP compression and packet prioritization support increase performance for priority traffic. Compressed HTTP traffic is inspected by ISA Server.
- A single sign-on Web experience, including forms-based authentication together with RSA SecurID as well as NTLM, RADIUS, and LDAP authentication.
- Expanded possibilities for authentication delegation to published servers, such as Web servers or SharePoint Portal servers.
- Enhanced link translation that enable you to publish multiple intranet sites to the Internet
- Secure application access: You can publish applications such as Exchange Outlook Web Access and Windows Sharepoint Services with automated tools, while maintaining granular access policy, authentication, and content inspection.
- Caching of content received using the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to reduce the load on WAN links for updating desktop computers. A pre-configured Microsoft Update cache rule provides caching for Microsoft software updates when you enable the cache.
- Ability to check the validity and expiration dates of SSL certificates used for secure communication.
- Publishing of server farms.
- New connection limits for improved protection against flood attacks.
These new features support solutions for a wide range of network scenarios, including:
- The Secure Application Publishing Scenario: Using link translation, single-sign on, advanced authentication options, and the ability to publish server farms, you can easily and securely publish Web sites, Outlook Web Access, and SharePoint, and link from one site to another without requiring your users to re-authenticate
- The Branch Office Gateway Scenario: Remote branches that have limited connectivity or IT staff can be easily configured to connect to your headquarters over VPN, and can take advantage of HTTP compression and BITS caching to make communication more efficient.